RE: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 07:43:33 -0800 (PST)

> I suggest that when Emacs starts up in a fresh home
> directory that lacks both .config/emacs and .emacs.d,
> Emacs creates .config/emacs and sets up a symlink
> .emacs.d -> .config/emacs.

(Ignore if irrelevant - I'm not following this thread.)

Just do you mean by a "fresh home directory", and what
do you mean by starting up "in" such a directory?

I'd hope that if a user has neither .config/emacs nor
.emacs.d in her designated home directory (e.g. HOME env
var) then Emacs would not create any such subdirs of
that home dir.  I'd hope that if a user has HOME defined
then Emacs would continue to leave well enough alone in
this regard.