Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 18:15:54 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:36:08 +0100

>     Robert> This requires an etc/NEWS update as well.
>
> Comments definitely welcome. Any hint of possible ambiguity is to be
> ruthlessly eliminated.

This is fine with me, with a single comment:

> +++
> ** Emacs can now use the XDG convention for init files.
> For example, it can look for init.el in "~/.config/emacs/init.el", and
> similarly for other init files.

I would remove the last sentence, as "for example" should IMO be after
the more general description.

> The 'XDG_CONFIG_HOME' environment variable (which defaults to "~/.config")
> specifies the parent directory of these and other configuration files.
And change here to say "directory of init.el and other configuration
files".

Btw, the "+++" before the NEWS entry means we have this documented in
the manuals, but I wonder whether the current text there is in sync
with the code change we are about to install.

Thanks.