Re: emacs-27 7ec66a5: Document spacing issues with Xft for some fonts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-27 7ec66a5: Document spacing issues with Xft for some fonts
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:00:26 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:45:28 +0100
>
> Eli, is it too soon for this?

Hmm... soon? no, I don't think so.  I just am not sure this is the
best approach.  First, I don't think we have enough data and
experience to commit ourselves to remove Xft in Emacs 29, we should
first see how painful such a removal will be wrt our users.
Therefore, it might be better to turn Cairo ON by default on master,
and only use Xft if Cairo is unavailable.  If that proves to be a
reliable configuration (i.e., we aren't flooded by complaints about
the Cairo problems), then perhaps we will be able to remove Xft in
Emacs 29 after all.

WDYT?  If you agree, then instead of mentioning the removal in Emacs
29, I'd prefer saying in NEWS that Xft is not actively maintained and
has known problems with some modern fonts, and therefore we recommend
against using it, as long as alternatives are available, Cairo being
the best one of those.