Re: Nicer looking Info - html manual +css

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Nicer looking Info - html manual +css
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 21:13:52 +0200

> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 18:48:34 +0000 (GMT)
> From: ndame <address@hidden>
> Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> Thinking about this it occurred to me there is a simple heuristic
> solution without involving the Texinfo folks.
>
> Apparently @example is rendered after an empty line with a 5 spaces
> indent. So it is easy to detect code sections, by looking for empty
> lines followed by +5 spaces indented lines. The code section starts at
> the empty line and ends when the indent is 5 spaces less again.

That won't work in general, because there are other kinds of markup
that end up indented like @example.

And even @example is not always indented exactly 5 spaces, because the
surrounding markup can affect that.  E.g., look at the code fragment
around line 127 of the "Time Conversion" node in the ELisp manual.

We cannot build a feature on such shaky foundations.  When 'makeinfo'
produces the Info output, the markup information is all but lost, and
nothing can bring it back.