Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 17:20:53 -0500

>> > .... scrolling through an elisp buffer: I started the timer by hand and
>> > scrolled down for 1000 lines ....
[...]
>> .... and it took 45s on Windows/WSL and 35s on Windows/native.

1000 lines divided by 45s is about 22 lines per second.
If you did that with `C-n` it suggests you're simply using a keyboard
repeat rate of about 20 repetitions-per-second and Emacs is just neither
fast nor slow.  35s on native suggests the keyboard repeat rate is
(surprisingly) different, more like 30 repetitions-per-second.

If Emacs is slow in such a test, you'll notice because it will stop
refreshing the display at times (hoping that skipping the redisplay time
will help it keep up with the repeat rate).

        Stefan