Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: master 1ebe160: Warn about XFT and about Cairo without HarfBuzz
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:49:57 +0100

On Fri, Jan 24 2020, Robert Pluim wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:01:46 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> said:

    Lars> address@hidden (Robert Pluim) writes:
>> +if test "${HAVE_CAIRO}" = "yes" && test >> "${HAVE_HARFBUZZ}" = no; then >> + AC_MSG_WARN([This configuration uses Cairo, but not >> HarfBuzz. We >> + recommend the use of HarfBuzz when using Cairo, >> please install
    >> +    HarfBuzz development packages.])
    >> +fi

Lars> I would assume that most people casually building Emacs would have no Lars> idea what either Cairo or HarfBuzz is. Perhaps it would be helpful to Lars> say something like "uses the Cairo graphics library, but without the
    Lars> HarfBuzz font rendering library"?

'Casually building Emacs'? Is that possible? :-)

If they're doing it casually, would explaining Cairo and HarfBuzz
help?

I would consider myself a casual builder of Emacs. :-) On one machine, I compile and install Emacs from source. Not to stay up to date with development but just to have the latest Emacs release. (When I first installed that machine, there were no pre-built packages of a recent Emacs available.)

And yes, I think if I'd run into this problem, I'd appreciate the extra information. I mean, of course I would google "Cairo" and "HarfBuzz", but knowing what I'm looking for would make fixing the problem easier.

Just my €0.02.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments