Re: TODO item "Convert modes that use view-mode to be derived from speci

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: TODO item "Convert modes that use view-mode to be derived from special-mode instead."
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 18:19:54 +0100

Ryan Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to get involved with emacs development.  I was thinking I would
> start with this item in /etc/TODO.  Is this one still needed?

Welcome to Emacs!  I don't know if that particular one is still
needed, and given the lack of response, possibly no one else has had a
look lately.  Maybe you could look into it, knowing that a valid
outcome could also be to just remove the TODO item if it's been fixed
already.  I've done one or two TODO items like that.

One thing I would recommend for a new contributor is to look at the
Emacs bug tracker and fix bugs.  You could look for the (currently
under-used) tag "easy", or you could look into bugs for the packages
you currently use and would like to improve.  I started contributing
to Emacs in April last year, and my first things was to add unit tests
for old code.  That's a good way of familiarizing yourself with a part
of Emacs that you're interested in.  So really, what you work on is
really up to you and your interests.  (I recommend using the debbugs
package to browse the bug tracker.)

If you have any particular package in mind that you would like to work
on, you could ask here for suitable bugs for a new developer.

Don't forget familiarize yourself with how everything works by reading
the CONTRIBUTE file and others in admin/ and etc/.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  Happy hacking!

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas