Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:12:30 -0500

> On Jan 26, 2020, at 3:42 AM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If you mean rules in `display-buffer-alist` should
> > take precedence over gdb-display-source-buffer-action, I
> > disagree. Because a source buffer in gdb setting is different from a
> > normal buffer — it shouldn’t be surprising that source buffers display
> > differently in gdb. Or, think of gdb as a special case, and special
> > case normally take precedence over normal case.
>
> If you want to use 'display-buffer' and do not set
> 'display-buffer-overriding-action', you cannot override
> 'display-buffer-alist’.
>
> martin

I has a second look at the docstring of `display-buffer`, yes
`display-buffer-alist` overrides supplied ACTION argument. Then the user is
always able to override our display buffer customizations.

> If all you want is to make a window really "unsplittable", the
> 'split-window' parameter mentioned above should accomplish that.  I
> suppose though, that you want to make such windows unsplittable for
> 'display-buffer' only.  And this will cause real problems because how
> should 'display-buffer-below-selected' or 'display-buffer-at-bottom'
> handle such a case?

Maybe we could provide a customization to make gdb function windows
(breakpoint, io, thread, etc) un-splittable?

Yuan