Re: cairo now default?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: cairo now default?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 15:06:03 -0500

RP> Why? Xft and Cairo should have the same font support, apart from
RP> bitmap fonts. Only people who've messed with font-backend might have
RP> issues, and there should be not be too many of those.

Are you certasin that the ~/.Xdefaults font syntax remains constant?

Last I looked pango and hb did not grok things like:

  Emacs.Font: CMU Typewriter Text-11.4:dpi=133

and I do not know about:

  Emacs.Font: DejaVu Sans Mono:pixelsize=20

And xft in general also supports things like:

  :pixelsize=20:matrix=0.6875 0.1875 0 1

which better enables matching when using sets of fallback fonts.

PanGo always avoided proper expresiveness and I doubt hb does any
better.

(And recall that I was one of the first to suggest having the equiv of
the modern --with-cairo as emacs' default, only to be harshly shot
down.  Like usual, someone else has done it w/o that complaint. :)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6