Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 19:04:07 +0100

> Before I do that... there's something I failed to notice before: the
> frame *does* get resized, in a sense. At least X seems to think so,
> but Emacs doesn't.

In a sense, yes.

> Notice the white area of the same height as the child frame hiding the
> text in the parent frame on the attached screenshot. Also note that
> the yellow background didn't help: the area is white.

The yellow background allows to discern what Emacs thinks about the
child frame (yellow) from what it should think (white).  Whether that
white area was cleared by the WM or by Emacs itself is not clear to me.
It should have been Emacs because well, why should the WM clear it?

> This only happens with xterm.diff applied, never without it.

It's similar to the old behavior of X where I also saw those cleared
areas.

martin