Re: Questions about developing Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Questions about developing Emacs
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 19:48:06 +0200

> From: Federico Tedin <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 18:40:18 +0100
>
> - Will replies to older bugs (say, 1 or 2 years old) still get noticed
> by the maintainers?

Yes.  But if no one has anything intelligent to say, you might not see
any responses, even though your replies will certainly be read and
considered.

> - Is there any way to find bugs that will involve more C coding?

Bugs that report crashes are generally likely to lead to changes in C.
There are also others, but I'm not sure how you could detect them.

> - What's the best way of moving from fixing small things, onto
> adding/modifying larger parts of how Emacs works?

I'd suggest picking up a couple of areas of Emacs in which you are
interested the most, and working on related problems.  Each time you
work on some problem, try to dig into the surrounding code and
understand more than strictly required for fixing the problem at
hand.  With time, you will build expertise in those areas, and will
feel more confident with more significant changes and new
developments.

TIA