Re: Emacs NS 'scratch/ns/draw-to-bitmap' branch performance

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Emacs NS 'scratch/ns/draw-to-bitmap' branch performance
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 10:01:56 -0500

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 6:10 PM Alan Third <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:00:05AM -0500, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> After building Emacs with the ns/draw-to-bitmap branch merged, on macOS
> 10.15.2, I'm seeing some performance issues.  I'd like, Alan, to know how
> you would prefer me to proceed in a way that best helps you (and anyone
> else here) resolve them.
Honestly, though, I’d be happy for you to have a look as we’re rather
struggling. Using the offscreen bitmap means Emacs doesn’t have any
odd graphical glitches. The other method, described here

    https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32932#412

does have serious glitches but has *much* better performance.

OK.  I'll see about spending some time in the area, see if I can't improve performance for me and hopefully everyone else.  Thanks for the pointers and patches, which I'll play around with, and see what comes of testing them, and additional profiling.

I can't promise a strict timeline, as this is a personal time project, but I'm definitely motivated to improve performance here.  I'll keep in touch via the list on progress.  Thank you for your quick response.