Re: Emacs 27.0.90 is out!

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.0.90 is out!
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 18:18:28 -0800

On 3/4/20 10:40 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I'm not yet sure which part(s) of the changeset directly shut up the
"-Walloc-size-larger-than=N" warnings.  Is that the part that adds the
calls to 'assume'?

Yes.

If so, we already call eassume in many places; it
won't be a problem to add a few more, and fix the warnings on the
emacs-27 branch.

I'd rather not backport this stuff into the emacs-27 branch, since the eassume calls do not fix bugs and can change the code generated and therefore can inadvertently introduce bugs. People building on emacs-27 can either live with the warnings, or use ordinary GCC options instead of unusual ones, or not enable warnings.

Pacifying GCC when Emacs is built with unusual options is a low-priority thing to do, as we can't feasibly pacify GCC's false alarms under every option combination (there are far too many combinations and pacifying GCC in every instance would cause make-work maintenance and complicate Emacs and wouldn't make Emacs more reliable). Instead, we should merely suggest to people to not enable GCC warnings when they are employing unusual GCC options.

And what about a similar warning I reported in bug#39857?

That's a false alarm, and I suppose it's a bug in the particular GCC build that you used. I expect the simplest workaround is stick to the usual compiler options (i.e., avoid -Og), or to disable GCC warnings. For what it's worth I can't reproduce the problem on Fedora 31 x86 (i.e., 32-bit) with GCC 9.2.1 20190827 (Red Hat 9.2.1-1), so perhaps you can work around the problem by using a newer GCC.