Re: On elisp running native

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 15:15:16 -0600

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:

>> To work around it, I wrapped (defvar org-ql-predicates...) in
>> eval-and-compile, and then wrapped all of the calls to org-ql--defpred
>> in eval-and-compile as well.  Then I deleted the org-ql.eln file and
>> recompiled it, restarted Emacs, and then everything worked fine.
>>
>> I'm guessing that this issue is "native" to the native-compilation and
>> might need to be documented in some way, but I wouldn't expect it to
>> affect many packages, only ones that do tricky things with variables and
>> macro-expansion like this.
>
> This is strange.  The semantic of the native compiled code should be
> exactly the same of the byte-compiled one.  I may look at this in the
> weekend if I manage to.  Thanks for reporting.

FYI, I pulled the new Docker image, the one that does create the
arch-specific directories for the ELN files, then I installed org-ql
again, without those modifications, and I didn't get that error again,
and it seems to be working fine.  So hopefully it was either a fluke or
something fixed by your latest changes.

One small issue I noticed: While working on another package, I caused a
segfault when calling edebug-defun.  I restarted Emacs and wasn't able
to reproduce it, and I continued using Edebug on that and other code
without any crashes.  I also noticed some other unusual behavior with
Edebug while stepping through an Edebugged function (pressing "g" did
not skip to the next breakpoint, instead it seemed to behave like "n"),
and I doubt that has anything to do with the native-comp branch, so
maybe the segfault doesn't either.

Thanks again for all your work on this.