Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 21:44:58 +0000

> Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
>>> Besides fixing this, you could also *add* own CI tests, which will be
>>> run once your branch has seen any git push. The tests are described in
>>> Emacs' root directory, file .gitlab-ci.yml. Read also admin/notes/emba.
>>>
>>> Just in case you're interested in.
>>
>> I'd be certanly very interested.  The issue could be that, as of today,
>> bootstrapping and native compiling the whole Emacs is about 7h total cpu
>> time (to be divided by the machine parallelism).  Not sure how many cpu
>> threads emba.gnu.org has and if we want to load it with this.
>
> We could use Pipeline Schedules for that, see
> <https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/pipelines/schedules.html>. Running
> bootstrapping once a week or once a month, as needed. It could still be
> triggered manually, in case you want to test the CI integration itself.
>
> emba.gnu.org is a VM. It reports 2 cores / 8GB RAM. I have no idea how
> your full bootstrapping fits, we'll see.
>
>> Regards
>>
>>   Andrea
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Hi Michael,

I took a look and seen that the debian container we are using for
testing has libgccjit6 available as package.

Being this debian stretch I don't understand why it's not libgccjit 7 or
8 looking at:

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=buster&arch=amd64&searchon=names&keywords=libgccjit

but anyway...  I did some tests in the docker and apparently it works!
(we are lucky often libgccjit distributed can be broken).

I added a test to the yml that performs a native bootstrap:

https://gitlab.com/koral/gccemacs/-/commit/8d6fb91c7448f438744dec8f3cc9a51d0e1d8254

Now what is going to happen if I push this?  Is this test going to run
every time I push or we have a way to select the tests to be run per
test?

Also if I try to look into the pipelines in emba following
https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/pipeline_schedules I get 404.  Is this
expected?

Sorry as it's clear I'm not really skilled into this.

Thanks

  Andrea

--
address@hidden