Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 19:41:48 +0000

Zhu Zihao <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for your quick reply, Andrea! I temporarily turn the comp-speed to 0
> and
> less memories was required during the compilation. And the eln files are still
> faster than elc files. Amazing works!
>
> IMO, leim files may not need to be native-compiled. If you check those files,
> you will found that they just some macros and tons of alists that map input
> codes
> to characters. So they just need to be byte-compiled(to do the
> macro-expansion).

Yes I've seen it but the next question would be how to define such list
of "not to be compiled" files?  I though was cleaner to implement
deferred compilation because this is more generic, but maybe a
not-compile list is also a good suggestion that is very easy to
implement in addition.

Thoughts?

> Another question is, polymorphic functions defined by `cl-defmethod` can't be
> native compiled. `cl-defmethod` generates and byte-compile dynamic lambda to
> support runtime multi-dispatch. I' m wondering is that any way to make
> `cl-defmethod` compatible with native-comp, maybe Stefan Monnier have more
> ideas
> on this.

I've never disassembled a cl method but generally speaking for now we
just do not native compile all lambdas :)

We are really in bring-up phase to be clear.

--
address@hidden