Re: lexical-binding is turned on in more use cases

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: lexical-binding is turned on in more use cases
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 13:10:25 -0700

>> THIS IS A MAJOR BACKWARD STEP FOR EMACS!!!!

SM> ;-)

>> Looking at the git log, it appears this change was made nearly a year ago.

SM> Indeed, it's a wonder you managed to survive with such a majorly broken
SM> Emacs for so long ;-)

I do hope we're taking Alan's concern seriously here, all joking aside. This
change pretty harshly violates the "principle of least surprise", and working
with lexical-scope still isn't the norm for most old school Emacs Lispers. I'm
not sure I wuold have ever discovered the solution to such a problem in my own
debugging, had I not chanced on this discussion thread.

What are we gaining, again, at the cost of this potential confusion?