Re: Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Adding iso8601.el to ELPA as a :core package?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 12:36:52 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What do you think about adding iso8601 to ELPA as a :core package? It's
>> pretty useful, and there's no particular reason it needs to be tied to a
>> particular Emacs version. My understanding is that this would be the
>> best of both worlds: you only maintain the in-tree version of the
>> library, but it's also available to install through ELPA.
>
> As Paul said, it uses Emacs 27 language features...  but it could
> probably be rewritten to work in previous versions.  I'm not sure how
> much work that would be, though.

I finally got to looking at this, and I think there's too much that's
changed with Emacs 27 time handling. Rewriting iso8601 to not use Emacs
27 features is not feasible, I think. It would be quite a mess (maybe
impossible) to try to provide full compatibility for this vcard library,
as well, so I think I'm just going to have this require Emacs 27 or
later.

Thanks,
Eric