Re: The right way to reuse code from another project

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The right way to reuse code from another project
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 19:39:10 -0400

> I would like to reuse some test helpers in bnf-mode [1] initially
> created by lua-mode [2] authors.  So I'm interested in the proper
> way mention authorship and copyright notice.  Both modes are
> distributed under GNU GPL.  Could someone advice me the right way
> to include those helpers in bnf-mode.

The proper way is:
- find out who are the authors are (e.g. with `vc-region-history`).
- check whether they have signed the copyright paperwork.
- if they have not and the code is non-trivial, ask them to sign the paperwork.
  [ in this case, I suspect they all already signed.  ]
- ask them if they're OK to contribute that code to your GNU ELPA
  package and hence consider that code as covered yb their copyright assignment.
- add their names to the `Author:` if you think the code is significant
  enough for that.

The copyright line shouldn't need any changing since their paperwork
assigns the copyright to the FSF anyway.

        Stefan