Participating in a Google Summer of Code Project

From: Zach Shaftel
Subject: Participating in a Google Summer of Code Project
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:47:36 -0400

Hello all,

It's pretty late to be doing this, but I'd really love to
participate in GSoC to contribute to the development of Emacs. I
have been using Emacs for over two years and have a great deal of
experience with Elisp and the core Elisp libraries, and I've spent
time reading byte-opt.el, byte-run.el and bytecomp.el to understand
the byte compilation process. While not as familiar with the C
sources, I have perused the code quite a bit and would love to learn
more. Would the project to enable deriving source code locations
from bytecode be a good fit? I'm ready to start learning the ins and
outs of the compiler right away.

In addition to that project, I'm also interested in improving and/or
extending Elisp libraries or the language itself. On the library
side, I've been thinking about ways to improve and optimize cl-lib
and pcase, and on the language side I'm really interested in the
possibility of implementing TCO or adding read syntax for condensed
lambdas (like clojure's #(...), I read somewhere that there was
interest in this mailing list but can't track down the thread right
now). These may not be the right projects for GSoC, but I'm just
brainstorming.

Otherwise, are there any other project ideas not mentioned in the
first thread on this topic?

Thanks,
Zach