Re: Interest in nt_load_image?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Interest in nt_load_image?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 10:50:51 -0400

> We still want to support Windows 9X.

Do we?  Do you know (of) someone using a recentish Emacs on Windows 9X?

>> We cannot do this at compile time, because we still try supporting
>> ancient Windows versions where GDI+ is not available.  Moreover, I
>> think it's good to let users have the ability to decide dynamically
>> which image display capability they want.  It certainly makes sense to
>> do that initially, while the GDI+ way is being tested in all kinds of
>> real-life use cases.
>> So all the compile-time tests will have to be rewritten as run-time
>> tests, and we should provide variables to force Emacs use/not use
>> GDI+, perhaps at image format granularity, and expose those variables
>> to Lisp, so users could control that.
>
> Did I misunderstand him?

Yes, he described the extra efforts that we should spend to try and
provide support for those hypothetical Windows 9X users out there.
I think that is very likely to be a waste, so I think we should first do
the easy thing and *if/when* someone comes complaining that it doesn't
work on Windows 9X then we can revisit this decision.

        Stefan