Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 18:59:31 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 18:16:04 +0300
>
> > I see a very different picture here: the above takes something like
> > 15%.  Most of the time is spent in functions called by jit-lock.
>
> What are your measurements, though?

My full profile is below.  This is from Emacs 27.0.90 compiled with
the -Og optimization and with wide-int (which slows down Emacs by
about 30%).

> Again, what does this print out?
>
>    (benchmark 1 '(progn (find-file "src/xdisp.c")))

  Elapsed time: 1.733853s (0.140584s in 6 GCs)

> No 'goto-char'. As we've established, it only affects the time taken by
> redisplay, and I can't measure that. So I'm not profiling it either,
> otherwise I'd be comparing apples to oranges.

See the second profile below.

> Yes. The numbers can be different, but there is definitely some up-front
> computation there. One that's not present with e.g. js-mode.

So you are saying that we should do that up-front computation just
because CC mode currently does it?  That we shouldn't try to eliminate
such preprocessing?  I don't think so.

Here's the profile from visiting xdisp.c and going to end of the
buffer:

- redisplay_internal (C function)                                  65  41%
 - jit-lock-function                                               65  41%
  - jit-lock-fontify-now                                           65  41%
   - jit-lock--run-functions                                       65  41%
    - run-hook-wrapped                                             65  41%
     - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8adaa88>                             65  41%
      - font-lock-fontify-region                                   65  41%
       - c-font-lock-fontify-region                                65  41%
        - font-lock-default-fontify-region                         50  31%
         - font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                       35  22%
          - c-font-lock-declarations                               34  21%
           - c-find-decl-spots                                     34  21%
            - c-bs-at-toplevel-p                                   32  20%
             - c-brace-stack-at                                    32  20%
              - c-update-brace-stack                               31  19%
               - c-syntactic-re-search-forward                     27  17%
                - c-beginning-of-macro                              6   3%
                   back-to-indentation                              2   1%
                   #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8ae5f98>                  1   0%
              c-forward-sws                                         1   0%
          - c-font-lock-complex-decl-prepare                        1   0%
           - c-parse-state                                          1   0%
            - c-parse-state-1                                       1   0%
             - c-parse-state-get-strategy                           1   0%
              - c-get-fallback-scan-pos                             1   0%
               - beginning-of-defun                                 1   0%
                - beginning-of-defun-raw                            1   0%
                   syntax-ppss                                      1   0%
         - font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region                  15   9%
            syntax-ppss                                            15   9%
        - c-before-context-fl-expand-region                        15   9%
         - mapc                                                    15   9%
          - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a66198>                        15   9%
           - c-context-expand-fl-region                            15   9%
            - c-fl-decl-start                                      15   9%
             - c-literal-start                                     14   8%
              - c-semi-pp-to-literal                               14   8%
                 c-parse-ps-state-below                            14   8%
               c-determine-limit                                    1   0%
- command-execute                                                  64  40%
 - call-interactively                                              64  40%
  - funcall-interactively                                          63  40%
   - eval-last-sexp                                                63  40%
    - elisp--eval-last-sexp                                        63  40%
     - eval                                                        63  40%
      - progn                                                      63  40%
       - progn                                                     63  40%
        - find-file                                                63  40%
         - find-file-noselect                                      63  40%
          - find-file-noselect-1                                   63  40%
           - after-find-file                                       63  40%
            - normal-mode                                          61  38%
             - set-auto-mode                                       61  38%
              - set-auto-mode-0                                    61  38%
               - c-mode                                            61  38%
                - c-common-init                                    57  36%
                 - mapc                                            57  36%
                  - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a7d680>                 37  23%
                   - c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP                    20  12%
                    - c-beginning-of-macro                          4   2%
                       c-backward-single-comment                    2   1%
                       back-to-indentation                          1   0%
                      c-no-comment-end-of-macro                     3   1%
                     c-after-change-mark-abnormal-strings                 15
9%
                     c-parse-quotes-after-change                    1   0%
                  - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a7d6b0>                 20  12%
                   - c-before-change-check-unbalanced-strings
15   9%
                    - c-literal-limits                             15   9%
                     - c-full-pp-to-literal                        15   9%
                        c-parse-ps-state-below                     15   9%
                     c-depropertize-CPP                             4   2%
                - byte-code                                         2   1%
                   require                                          1   0%
                - run-mode-hooks                                    1   0%
                 - hack-local-variables                             1   0%
                  - hack-dir-local-variables                        1   0%
                     dir-locals-read-from-dir                       1   0%
            - run-hooks                                             2   1%
             - vc-refresh-state                                     2   1%
              - vc-backend                                          2   1%
               - vc-registered                                      2   1%
                - mapc                                              2   1%
                 - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a67780>                  2   1%
                  - vc-call-backend                                 2   1%
                   - apply                                          2   1%
                    - vc-git-registered                             2   1%
                     - if                                           2   1%
                      - progn                                       2   1%
                       - load                                       1   0%
                          require                                   1   0%
  - byte-code                                                       1   0%
   - read-extended-command                                          1   0%
    - completing-read                                               1   0%
       completing-read-default                                      1   0%
- ...                                                              28  17%
   Automatic GC                                                    27  17%
 - substitute-key-definition-key                                    1   0%
  - substitute-key-definition                                       1   0%
   - map-keymap                                                     1   0%
    - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a80eb8>                               1   0%
     - substitute-key-definition-key                                1   0%
      - substitute-key-definition                                   1   0%
       - map-keymap                                                 1   0%
        - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a80c48>                           1   0%
         - substitute-key-definition-key                            1   0%
          - substitute-key-definition                               1   0%
           - map-keymap                                             1   0%
            - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a80658>                       1   0%
             - substitute-key-definition-key                        1   0%
              - substitute-key-definition                           1   0%
               - map-keymap                                         1   0%
                  #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8a7ce58>                   1   0%

Here's the profile from just visiting xdisp.c:

- command-execute                                                  67  82%
 - call-interactively                                              67  82%
  - funcall-interactively                                          67  82%
   - eval-expression                                               67  82%
    - eval                                                         67  82%
     - progn                                                       67  82%
      - find-file                                                  67  82%
       - find-file-noselect                                        67  82%
        - find-file-noselect-1                                     66  81%
         - after-find-file                                         66  81%
          - normal-mode                                            62  76%
           - set-auto-mode                                         62  76%
            - set-auto-mode-0                                      62  76%
             - c-mode                                              62  76%
              - c-common-init                                      55  67%
               - mapc                                              55  67%
                - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8aa7940>                  36  44%
                 - c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP                      21  25%
                  - c-beginning-of-macro                            2   2%
                     c-backward-single-comment                      1   1%
                   c-after-change-mark-abnormal-strings                 14  17%
                - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8aa7970>                  19  23%
                 - c-before-change-check-unbalanced-strings                 14
17%
                  - c-literal-limits                               14  17%
                   - c-full-pp-to-literal                          14  17%
                      c-parse-ps-state-below                       14  17%
                 - c-depropertize-CPP                               4   4%
                    c-end-of-macro                                  1   1%
              - byte-code                                           6   7%
                 require                                            4   4%
               - substitute-key-definition                          1   1%
                - map-keymap                                        1   1%
                 - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8aac0b8>                  1   1%
                  - substitute-key-definition-key                   1   1%
                   - substitute-key-definition                      1   1%
                      map-keymap                                    1   1%
          - run-hooks                                               4   4%
           - vc-refresh-state                                       4   4%
            - vc-backend                                            4   4%
             - vc-registered                                        4   4%
              - mapc                                                3   3%
               - #<compiled -0x1ffffffff8ae8e88>                    3   3%
                - vc-call-backend                                   3   3%
                 - apply                                            3   3%
                  - vc-git-registered                               2   2%
                   - if                                             2   2%
                    - progn                                         2   2%
                     - load                                         1   1%
                      - require                                     1   1%
                       - defconst                                   1   1%
                          byte-code                                 1   1%
                     - vc-git-registered                            1   1%
                      - vc-git--out-ok                              1   1%
                       - apply                                      1   1%
                        - vc-git--call                              1   1%
                         - apply                                    1   1%
                          - process-file                            1   1%
                             apply                                  1   1%
                  - vc-git-find-file-hook                           1   1%
                   - vc-state                                       1   1%
                    - vc-state-refresh                              1   1%
                     - vc-call-backend                              1   1%
                      - apply                                       1   1%
                       - vc-git-state                               1   1%
                        - apply                                     1   1%
                         - vc-git--run-command-string                  1   1%
                          - apply                                   1   1%
                           - vc-git--out-ok                         1   1%
                            - apply                                 1   1%
                             - vc-git--call                         1   1%
                              - apply                               1   1%
                               - process-file                       1   1%
                                  apply                             1   1%
                vc-file-getprop                                     1   1%
        - find-buffer-visiting                                      1   1%
         - file-truename                                            1   1%
          - file-truename                                           1   1%
           - file-truename                                          1   1%
            - file-truename                                         1   1%
             - file-truename                                        1   1%
                file-truename                                       1   1%
- ...                                                              14  17%
   Automatic GC                                                    14  17%