Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 22:25:16 +0300

On 05.04.2020 22:03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
To me, "fast enough" means I don't need to stop and wait to see the
result of my typing.  Which happens now when something I type requires
reindentation and refontification, at least in some cases.
OK, sure. But that's a different kind of scenario and benchmark.

Certainly a lower bar than having mouse-scrolling never lock up.
I'm not sure it is lower, because as I said an optimized Emacs doesn't
lock up when I scroll, either with C-v or the mouse.  But the problems
I described do happen in such builds.

It's lower because when you're typing you're usually typing something meaningful (meaning limited input rate), and the beginning of the window usually stays in place (which speeds up re-fontification).

Whereas when you're scrolling, you can scroll as fast as your keyboard allows you, and you're triggering fontification of a whole new screen-ful every keystroke. And this is closer to Martin's situation, AFAICT.