Re: Garbage collector: is 800kb a good default?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Garbage collector: is 800kb a good default?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:52:12 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So if occasionally the user hits a key during the idle-GC, he just gets
> to experience the delay that he would otherwise *always* experience.
>
> The purpose of the idle-GC is not to *add* more background activity, but
> to move activity from active time to idle time.  So if it works as
> intended it is not comparable to those other long-running idle timers.

Following the discussion seems to me that the strategy you are
discussing for the idle GC is exactly what I've implemented in the GCMH
[1].

This into MELPA since about one year (I was without copyright assignment
at the time) but I'd be happy to have it in ELPA or to have it reused
somehow if it comes handy.

Andrea

[1] https://melpa.org/#/gcmh

--