Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:43:23 +0800

> And it has Electron for display support which has a mature browser
> engine behind it, so it can support advanced graphics features out
> of the box on all the supported platforms.

I'd like to add that even though Electron might have some fancier
features, I don't consider it more "mature" than the Emacs display
engine, which has had a 25+ year head start to "mature".

IIRC, some important concepts in the display engine have existed since
the era of AI Lab Emacs, which gives the display engine a nearly 40 year
head-start.

Perhaps we could focus on adding missing features to Emacs' display
engine (such as the aformentioned fancy graphics, and also some other
important features that RMS has mentioned, such as variable-pitch
indentation).

Plus, if we implement those features manually, we can make sure that
they work consistently well throughout all the supported platforms.
(Which is also what you get with Electron, etc).