Re: Add community resources to further-information.html

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Add community resources to further-information.html
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 18:04:59 -0400

Hello, rms, Stefan, all!

>   > +                      <li>Sacha Chua maintains a weekly
>   > +                        <a
>   > href="https://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs/";>Emacs news
>   > update</a>.</li>
>   > +                      <li>Planet Emacslife is an aggregate of recent
>   > +                        <a href="https://planet.emacslife.com/";>Emacs
>   > blog posts</a>.</li>
> Would someone like to check that each of those three sites has a
> general policy of not promoting nonfree programs (neither applications
> nor systems) nor helping people use them?
> Helping people use Emacs on a nonfree system or with some well known
> nonfree program is ok as an exception.  (See References in GNU Coding
> Standards.)

Emacs News gets aggregated into Planet Emacslife, so it's probably okay
not to link to that separately. It's cureently a category of my personal
blog and I haven't had the time to split it out. I have other blog posts
about nonfree programs or systems in my archive, but only my Emacs posts
are included in Planet Emacslife. I also post Emacs News updates to the
emacs-tangents mailing list, which might be a freer option.

Planet Emacslife aggregates a bunch of RSS feeds. In general, I've tried
to limit it to people's Emacs categories, but sometimes people don't
offer category-specific feeds. In that situation, I include their full
feed, so there are also posts unrelated to Emacs. The aggregator lets me
blacklist specific posts, I think. I haven't tried that ability yet, and
I'm not sure I can take on the responsibility of saying it'll never have
a post promoting nonfree programs outside Emacs integrations. Are you
okay with the fact that the aggregator itself doesn't promote nonfree
programs or systems, even if it occasionally includes blog posts from
people writing about stuff they"re interested in?

Stefan, thanks for pinging me and thinkkng of this!

Sacha