Re: GDI+ take 3

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: GDI+ take 3
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 08:25:45 +0200

Alan Third <address@hidden> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 10:08:06PM +0200, Juan José García-Ripoll wrote:
>> The image that was supplied by Alan has a nominal delay time of 0.03
>> seconds between frames. Emacs 26.3 takes about 0.14 seconds on average
>> to load each frame of the gif file, using giflib. Emacs 28 as I built it
>> from git source right now, takes 0.3 seconds with giflib and a time that
>> grows from 0.01 up to 0.16 seconds (probably because frames have to be
>> read sequentially, there is no index).
>
> So Emacs 28 takes twice as long to load any given gif frame as Emacs
> 26 does? When both are using giflib?

Yes, but please understand I am using the default build flags for Emacs
(just plain ./configure + make) and the giflib version Emacs 28 is using
is the one shipped with latest msys64. In contrast, for Emacs 26.3 I
already use a preinstalled distribution, which may not have the same
version of giflib and may have been built with different flags.

In any case GDI+ is faster than both of them on my system and, while
slower than the desired 0.03 s / frame specified in the GIF file, it
still looks ok.

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll