Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 07:01:44 +0000

"Po Lu" <address@hidden> writes:

> Agreed.  Stefan has a proof-of-concept package named `gnu-elpa' that
> does exactly this, and it would indeed be nice if Emacs had that.

Nice!

> IIRC, Tide uses tsserver, and people say it works quite well.  I also
> recall some interesting discussions related to multiple major modes in
> 2016, that came up with some interesting ideas.

That's correct. Tide is nice. I just wanted to shed some light on some
issues newcomers could have when considering emacs for web dev. Based on
the assumption that web devs are the main user group coming from vs
code. (Which I know is of course not quite true :) )

> Yeah, but so far Eglot seems to be the only package that has copyright
> assigned to the FSF, which means discussion around Emacs and LSP should
> focus on improving Eglot.

Agreed!

> As for company, I think that's not something for Eglot to do, but
> automatically installing language servers is something we need.

Yeah. However, there is one thing with this approach. I took a look at
the eglot-fsharp.el (part of fsharp-mode, which is GPL v3
btw). Downloading of the particular server seems to be almost no issue
at all. Configuring servers, though, is an issue. Should it be eglots
responsibility to do that, or individual language modes? Consider at
some point in the future, when Eglot is as integrated with emacs as say,
syntax highlighting or indenting - should *-mode.el configure its own
lsp config? I'm just a little bit concerned this will cause maintainers
of third party lang-modes not to really care. At least if lsp-mode
already provides lsp-*.el preconfigured anyways.

Theo