Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 10:13:41 +0200

    Richard> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
]]]
    Richard> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
]]]
    Richard> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
]]]

    >> Iʼd take a look at 'pdf-tools', it both compiles C-code and installs
    >> necessary packages using 'apt-get' and similar.

    Richard> That is an undesirable practice: it turns package installation into
    Richard> something users won't keep track of.

If you want to use pdf-tools, and decide not to let it install the
required packages for you, you have to install them on its behalf. I
donʼt see the practical difference. The documentation of pdf-tools is
very clear about how to do the installation by hand.

    Richard> (Secondary practical issue: to succeed in running apt-get it would
    Richard> have to run as root, I think.)

It uses 'sudo', and is very clear about that too. Of course if youʼre
installing by hand you can install packages as non-root and play games
with PKG_CONFIG_PATH to get pdf-tools to find them.

(this is where someone points out a GNU/Linux package management
system where *everything* is installed as non-root :-) )

Robert