Re: Ideas to improve the output of C-h m?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Ideas to improve the output of C-h m?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 09:34:58 -0400

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks a lot for having a look.  I have attached the code; this
> version is extracted from biblio.el, for which it was originally
> written.  After loading it you should be able to use M-x
> help-with-major-mode and M-: (help-with-keymap occur-mode-map), for
> example.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I will try to take a proper look in
the next couple of days.

>> 1. As an aside, I have started converting 'substite-command-keys' from
>> C to Lisp some time ago, but I got stuck somewhere and didn't complete
>> it.  I hope I can find the energy and time to finish that job.
>
> I think they may be some overlap with the code I posted, as I had to
> write much of the iteration over keymaps from scratch.  Maybe both
> implementations can benefit from each other and we can get something
> done together.  Or maybe I can be the first client of your new code
> :)

Sounds good.  It will be interesting to see the overlap indeed, and it
sure is more motivating to work on the C to Lisp conversion if it can
actually be useful in terms of enabling improvements.

I suggest that I put my code on a branch, and we can take it from
there.  I have some loose ends to tie up before I can get back to it,
so please don't let that hold you back from what you're doing here.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas