Re: PL support

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:04:05 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> The main problem for me flows from the fact that we can't configure
>> MELPA by default nor even recommend it prominently in the manual and on
>> the website.
>
> I already asked why is this an issue.  Emacs needs configuration for
> many purposes, for example for sending and receiving email.  There is
> no need to have every wish of every user be available by default OOTB.

It is a problem that basic functionality for several important use-cases
is missing OOTB.  Some examples have been given in this thread.

It is also a clear drawback that we can't include nice-to-have
functionality such as Magit (one of our "killer apps").

> Emacs lets you do whatever you want.  You don't need any blessing from
> the project.

So then why do we ship any ELisp code in core?  Or even provide a
default configuration?

AFAIU, we do that to improve the user experience.  And here is a
low-hanging fruit which would improve it tremendously.

>              But as a project, we have our conventions and standards,
> and contributors are kindly requested to follow them when they
> contribute to Emacs.  Every project does that, and there's nothing
> wrong with such requirements.  Those requirements are meant to keep
> the quality of Emacs high enough.

We would not need to lower our standards by introducing "ELPA Contrib"
or "MELPA-libre".  We could still choose which packages to include, and
the conditions for doing so.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas