Re: What is GNU ELPA?

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: What is GNU ELPA?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 11:08:18 -0400

address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

>       There are other, non-GNU, Emacs Lisp package servers, including:
>    @uref{https://melpa.org, MELPA}; and
>    @uref{https://marmalade-repo.org, Marmalade}.  To use additional
>    package servers, customize the @code{package-archives} variable.  Be
>    aware that installing a package can run arbitrary code, so only add
>    sources that you trust.
>
> This should probobly be removed, since melpa contains software that
> recommends non-free software.

I have an alternative approach. What if instead of removing
the text you explained the rationale?

      There are other, non-GNU, Emacs Lisp package servers which
      you can access by customizing the @code{package-archives}
      variable.  Be aware that installing a package can run
      arbitrary code, so only add sources that you trust. A very
      popular server is @uref{https://melpa.org, MELPA} but note
      that it contains some software that recommends non-free
      software.

This allows people to find additional popular emacs
packages, including truly free ones that are on melpa and
not elpa and cautions them about finding non-free software,
raising the issue for those that might not fully understand
it. This seems better to me than having emacs remain mute on
the subject.

--

Howard