Re: Where is the eln search path defined

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Where is the eln search path defined
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 09:37:36 +0300

> From: Alex Bennée <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 22:19:49 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Mmh I see.  Would be interesting if you could check the DESTDIR value
> > (if any) in your build environment.
>
> Definitely not in env:
>
>   19:55:42 [alex@qemu-test:~/s/e/emacs.git] native-comp|✔ + env | grep DESTDIR
>   19:56:31 [alex@qemu-test:~/s/e/emacs.git] native-comp|✔ 1 +

> >> I can't quite follow where the automake magic sets DESTDIR but in the
> >> main Makefile I certainly have:
> >>
> >>   # The default location for installation.  Everything is placed in
> >>   # subdirectories of this directory.  The default values for many of
> >>   # the variables below are expressed in terms of this one, so you may
> >>   # not need to change them.  This defaults to /usr/local.
> >>   prefix=/home/alex/src/emacs/install
> >>
> >> Where is DESTDIR defined during the build?
> >
> > That is a very good question.
>
> I can't see it set, although LISP and BIN DESTDIRS are set:

I think this is looking in the wrong direction: DESTDIR is almost
_never_ defined.  It exists for a corner use case, so much so that I
even don't think it will help to describe that use cased here.

My guess is something else is causing this.

Of course, I could be wrong, since I don't know enough about these
details of native compilation.  Apologies if I cause more confusion
than help.