Re: Emacs 23.4 arm64 build

From: andres . ramirez
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.4 arm64 build
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 18:33:22 +0000

Hi Philippe.

    Philippe>     On 5/17/20 4:32 AM, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
    >> My question is fairly simple: is this a dead end? Should I just
    >> give up on arm64 Emacs 23.4 images? If you say it'd work with a
    >> bit of fighting I'll try harder tho.

    Paul>     Undoubted you could get it to work eventually, but
    Paul> my advice is to go with a later Emacs version that
    Paul> builds without pain.

    Philippe> Thanks. I forgot to say this is related
    Philippe> to https://hub.docker.com/r/silex/emacs, so I'm building
    Philippe> old images intentionnaly for others to use in CI
    Philippe> testing. That's why I'm trying to get 23.4 to build on
    Philippe> arm64.

    Philippe> So far 23.4, 25.2-alpine and 25.3-alpine are the only
    Philippe> images not building on arm64.

uname -a
Linux sacsa 5.6.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 24 16:11:00 UTC 2020 armv7l
GNU/Linux
~ $ pacman -Qi emacs23
Name            : emacs23
Version         : 23.4-1
Description     : The extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time
display editor; coexist with emacs, patches
                  from gentoo ebuild see my.orgs
Architecture    : armv7h
URL             : http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : hicolor-icon-theme  desktop-file-utils  alsa-lib  imagemagick
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 90.08 MiB
Packager        : Unknown Packager
Build Date      : Tue 07 Jan 2020 07:02:06 PM UTC
Install Date    : Tue 07 Jan 2020 07:42:33 PM UTC
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : None

    Philippe> It looks like 23.4 does not build on i386 but this I
    Philippe> should be able to sort it out.

I have compiled on i686 a month ago with the gentoo patches without
issue. But perhaps your issue could be 'nokaslr' (kernel aslr)

Also my emacs23 compilation or arm (32 bits) was with 'CANNOT_DUMP=yes'
and It is without any x-toolkit. for CI this is not going to work. You
need a clean compilation same as in i686.

I think for complete compilation(with an x-toolkit) a couple of changes on
source code
would be needed:

1. Fix 'strings' the error was something similar to:
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Emacs compilation halted at that point. I think above is related to 'address
randomization'.

2. probably a patch for using the system malloc.
The error was an infinite loop

Best