Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 21:53:36 +0200

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:22:53PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 20.05.2020 21:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >To clarify: set-message-function is not supposed to affect all the
> >ways we have to show something in the echo area, it is only supposed
> >to affect calls to 'message', because that's how messages to the user
> >are printed.
> >
> >eval-last-sexp uses prin1 to display the result, so it is not
> >affected, as intended.
>
> But aren't all echo area displays targeted at the user anyway?
>
> I'm not saying the current behavior is necessarily "broken", but
> perhaps we could enhance it further.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. You are proposing that message-fun
should not only take over messages proper but also the repl's print?

Because (message "foo") displays foo twice (well once it's foo, as
a side effect, then it's "foo", as the repl's "print" part, as the
result of the S-expression's evaluation.

FWIW, I'd expect setting set-message-function (strange name for a
var, BTW) to just take over the side effect, not the repl's "print".

But that's just one data point.

Cheers
-- t