Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fa

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: ELPA git repo contains zero-padded file modes and running ~$ make fails
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 09:03:53 +0200

Hi Stefan,

thanks for answering.

>> Thanks.  Is there any way to fix it?
>
> Not without rewriting history.  Git used to sometimes generate these
> zero-padded file modes.  It's now more careful, but those old commits
> are still with us.

:/

> Any chance you haven't done `make externals` beforehand?

Yes, I didn't do that... how could I know?  The instruction is burried
within a quite beefy README.

I did ~$ make externals and things went fine.

Then ~$ make produced this:

  In dismal-send-cmd-to-shell:
  packages/dismal/dismal.el:4519:17:Warning: variable reference to nonvariable
      ‘(make-local-variable 'dismal-gnuplot-finish)’
  packages/dismal/dismal.el:4519:17:Error: Wrong type argument: symbolp,
(make-local-variable 'dismal-gnuplot-finish)
  make: *** [GNUmakefile:173: packages/dismal/dismal.elc] Error

I don't really need to compile things in ELPA for now, I was just
going down the rabbit hole after the first zero-padded error.

HTH,

--
 Bastien