Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:16:12 +0200

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 25.05.2020 10:51, Bastien wrote:
>> - List packages
>> - Customize package archives (<= the option you want to promote)
>> - Customize the package interface
>
> I wonder if we do want to promote that second option (the mention of
> MELPA was recently deleted from the manual).

My take on this is that yes, I'd want to promote the second option,
and I don't think we need to sort out all the issues with ELPA (GNU
and possibly non-GNU) before doing so.

The reason is newbies and old-timers both want to customize the list
of package archives.

> And the last one... when did you last customize that group, aside from
> the list of archives?

Agreed, I don't think it is necessary.

> I do agree that the first one could be made move prominent. Perhaps
> the first step would be rearranging the items in the Options menu?

I'd rather go ahead by moving Package information to the Tools menu,
where it really belongs.

--
 Bastien