Re: 31395511: "Don’t attempt to modify constant strings"

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: 31395511: "Don’t attempt to modify constant strings"
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 04:38:19 +0000

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you want
>> (defun sly-make-action-button (label action &rest props)
>>   (apply #'sly--make-text-button
>>          label nil :type 'sly-action
>>          'action action
>>          'mouse-action action
>>          props))
>>
>> instead, since the new function returns a copy of label rather than the
>> string passed in.

> By itself, that doesn't work.  I have the same problem.

Strange, I'd tried it locally and it appeared to work.

> I think I'd rather this previous behavior were retained, or at least
> achievable by request. I haven't touched this code in a long
> I don't know what else might depend on it.

But the previous behavior was buggy. Things like

(defun sly-inspector-insert-more-button (index previous)
  (insert (sly-make-action-button
           (if previous " [--more--]\n" " [--more--]")
           #'sly-inspector-fetch-more
           'range-args (list index previous))))

worked only by accident, before.