Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 18:37:31 +0200

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:
> Maybe chromium-browser --print-to-pdf=doc.pdf --headless --disable-gpu
>       --run-all-compositor-stages-before-draw --no-margins doc.html
> or using its wrapper chromehtml2pdf.

there are alternatives which don't require malware:

   abiword --to=PDF -o a.pdf a.html
   soffice --headless --convert-to pdf a.html
   wkhtmltopdf -B 24 -L 24 -R 24 -T 24 a.html a.pdf

But none of those produce good documents.

As an experiment, I tried to produce the ebooks.pdf document from
org-mode, exported to html, opened in firefox, printed to pdf.  It gave
the best result.  It looked almost like the original and was easy to
tune in org-mode.  I only had to iterate a few times.

But still, all these solutions require huge dependencies.