Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:29:26 +0200

On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 01:11:36PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, just a short answer now -- pressed at the moment. Will come
back today later.

> > Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 11:58:51 +0200
> > From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> >
> > That said, as far as I understand the collaborative editing folks,
[...]
> > Think several people doodling simultaneously over a shared blackboard.
>
> Someone will have to explain why this is useful.

Yup, that's the problem.

This isn't the way I enjoy doing things either (so I'm not the
most qualified to answer that question, but I feel your pain),
but people *love* pushing around an Etherpad [1] URL and just
collaboratively hack away at something.

Perhaps because it doesn't force them to change the way they
interact too much. It's a bit like sitting around a sand pit
and putting sticks and stones and drawing doodles around them.

You don't take turns at this either, and if you step onto some
other's doodle, a side channel (she pushes you out of the sand
pit or yells at you ;-) is used.

Luckily Etherpad is free software

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etherpad