Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:09:04 -0700

On 6/5/20 6:02 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> So, IIUC `make-text-button` should ideally work functionally, but for
> historical reasons it works by side-effect.  What's the long term plan?
> Do we plan to live with the current side-effecting behavior, or do we
> plan to move to the "pure" functional behavior?

Given the comments in this thread it seems that there's consensus that it should
move to the "pure" functional behavior, as the side-effecting behavior is
confusing (and this is independent of whether string literals are constant). I
installed the attached patch, which is along the lines that I proposed a couple
of days ago; it has the doc fix that Pip Cet suggested.