Re: feature/native-comp, comp-deferred-compilation: no recompilation whe

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: feature/native-comp, comp-deferred-compilation: no recompilation when .elc newer than .eln?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 19:05:41 +0000

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Andrea,
> * Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> [2020-06-09; 08:17]:
>> * Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> [2020-06-06; 21:51]:
>>> This issue should be fixed by Nico's patch e38678b268 "Reduce the number
>>> of files probed when finding a lisp file."
>>>
>>> Hope works for you, in case does not please complain :)
>>
>> I will test in the next days.
>
> it worked, but only after the 3rd invokation of emacs:
>
> 1. I recompiled emacs, checked out an old version of org
>    mode with a certain bug, compiled that, used it with the
>    new emacs, this produced an org.eln file with the
>    specific bug.  Which I experienced while using org-mode.
>
> 2. I killed emacs, checked out newest org-mode, compiled it,
>    started emacs, used org-mode, org.el was not shown in the
>    async compile buffer, and the bug was still present and
>    the eln file was older than the el an elc files.
>
> 3. I killed emacs, started it again, used an org-file, now
>    org.el showed up in the async compile buffer, but the eln
>    file was as old as before and the bug was present.
>
> 4. I killed emacs.  Had a look again for the org.el[cn]?
>    files: now the eln file was newest, I used org-mode and
>    the bug was gone.
>
> I understand, that a new elc file is used in emacs, the
> compilation to eln happens async and when finished the eln
> file is not loaded over the elc file.  Therefore I have to
> restart emacs in order to actually use the eln file.

Well the .eln should be loaded over the .elc, but happen in a
transparent way.

> I do not understand why my org-usage in step 2 didn't
> trigger the compilation of the eln file.

Is a little hard do undestand what is going on from here.

Actually this mechanism (the one that triggers the compilation) will be
radically simplified once the dynamic scope support comes in.  I've a
branch for that already and I've 'just' to make it work :)

I suggest we rediscuss this with the new mechanism in place given it
should substitute the current one.

Thanks for trying the branch!

  Andrea

--