Re: graceful shutdown of non-interactive Elisp program

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: graceful shutdown of non-interactive Elisp program
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 00:59:51 +0200

On Sat, Jun 13 2020, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
I'm trying to make a Elisp program that is run in a non-interactive mode, i.e. essentially as `emacs --batch --load myfile.el'. A normal way to shutdown terminal programs is with C-c, which is expected to be "graceful"
shutdown, e.g. the program still has a chance to save files etc.

However, with Elisp I'm not sure how to achieve that except for constantly modifying `kill-emacs-hook', which would be a nightmare from coding
perspective.

What do you mean "constantly modifying `kill-emacs-hook'"? You just add a function to it when your program starts and if it's shut down before Emacs is killed, you remove the function again. Or leave it, if it doesn't do any harm.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments