Re: scratch/tzz/auth-source-reveal-mode 4a7c98d 3/3: Create and document

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: scratch/tzz/auth-source-reveal-mode 4a7c98d 3/3: Create and document auth-source-reveal-mode
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 14:39:01 +0000

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:24:26 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> 1) the new minor auth-source-reveal-mode and the prettify-text
>> library/API: that won't change and has no hard dependency on static
>> compositions.
>>
>> 2) the internal implementation of the prettify-text library/API: that's
>> almost exactly like `prettify-symbols-mode', a part of the core. Your
>> major concern there (accessibility and internationalization) is valid
>> but it's equally valid against that existing part of the core.
>>
>> So again, I propose merging as is, and then spending time on a proper
>> reimplementation for both `prettify-symbols-mode' and the prettify-text
>> code. I can work on that reimplementation with guidance from this
>> mailing list. That will help me keep the changes smaller (the branch is
>> getting hard to maintain) and more targeted.

EZ> I don't mind when will the dependency on static compositions replaced
EZ> by more appropriate features, as long as we agree that it should be
EZ> replaced.  (OTOH, I don't see why we should rush towards merging.)

OK, terrific. That makes it much easier to manage for me.

Outside of the internal implementation concerns you have, is there
anything else needed? I assume it's too early to modify NEWS and the
manual.

EZ> Also, let's not call the library "prettify-text" or anything to that
EZ> effect, because that's not what it is supposed to do, it's supposed to
EZ> hide text by displaying something else in its stead.

I can s/prettify-text/something/g, sure. I tried to think of a short
expressive name... maybe text-coverup? Let me know what you think.

Ted