Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 01:31:13 +0300

On 01.07.2020 01:17, Paul Eggert wrote:
Is there some way we could step that up? E.g., perhaps start by reminding people
who commit code changes but not changes to the corresponding documentation that
they need to do the documenation ASAP. Eventually, we could defer or even revert
changes until they're documented. The idea would be to change the culture of
coding-without-documenting.

What will those of us do who find the current way the manual is written suboptimal? And who generally don't read it anyway.

I've had multiple discussions with Eli on how things should be described and structured, after which my contributions ended us essentially fully rewritten. I'm not bitter about those occurrences, but it seems to me that adding to the manual wouldn't be very productive for me in many cases (unless it's a minor fix of an existing entry) if someone is going to rewrite all of it.

Likewise, you yourself didn't accept my version of another change that we discussed most recently.

Also, if we're considering patches from minor contributors, this can be an extra barrier for entry (make sure to get the commit message right, and NEWS, *and* the manual), which is higher than the other two.