[OFFTOPIC] Re: Emacs using SSE2 on x86

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Emacs using SSE2 on x86
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 17:10:05 -0400

> The Debian i386 port still uses older machines without SSE2 as its
> baseline, and apparently there are some people who still use Pentium III
> or Athlon XP machines, even for web browsing[1].
> Whether you want to support them is up to you, but in general Emacs runs
> very well even on such old hardware.

Web browsing is pretty painful on my Thinkpad X30 (tho it seems to be
largely due to the 768MB of RAM), but indeed xterm and Emacs work just
fine (I mostly use it with doc-view-mode which works particularly well
since it pre-computes the pages).

Admittedly, I'm beginning to have to phase it out because projectors
around here seem to finally be switching away from VGA.

        Stefan