Re: Updating dired-guess-shell-alist-default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Updating dired-guess-shell-alist-default
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 14:15:28 +0300

> From: "Philip K." <philip@warpmail.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 13:07:31 +0200
>
> > I think for MS-Windows this should use w32-shell-execute with
> > OPERATION set to "open".
>
> I don't have access to a Windows machine, but from asking a friend who
> tested it, start should do the equivalent of open/xdg-open. What would
> the reason be to prefer w32-shell-execute over "start"?

It doesn't involve starting another program (either cmd.exe or 'start'
itself), and it works equally well on all versions of Windows, whereas
'start' changed its behavior at least twice.

But if we want to invoke a shell command, then I guess 'start' would
be fine.  Juts remember that dired-shell-stuff-it invokes 'start' as
well.