Re: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 00:06:14 -0400

> The problem with C-u is actually my long-time lament.  Making this
> "spread" to more commands doesn't sound like progress to me.

It also affects `C-x RET c`, which is another standard prefix command.
I think we'll be better off making those prefix commands work well, than
keeping them half-working and then having to avoid introducing more
of them.

> What advantages and exciting new features will this enable, that could
> outweigh the downsides?

Prefix commands give structure to the space of key-bindings.
E.g. the new `C-x 4 4` prefix command makes almost all the special
`foo-other-window` commands (and their key bindings) redundant.

I think prefix commands are a powerful way to design the UI, making it
overall simpler.  I'm not sure if we want to go to something like Vi
(where `forward-word` is split into a `forward` command and a `by-word`
prefix command), but the principle of prefix command appears in
several places, even though it's rarely implemented with as much care as
`C-u` is.

        Stefan

PS: The active region is another similar "structuring tool".