Re: master 7551aff 4/4: Bind switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions to t

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 7551aff 4/4: Bind switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions to t
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:10:46 -0400

>>>     Bind switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions to t
>> This sounds wrong.  Why not change the rest of the code to use
>> `pop-to-buffer-same-window` instead?
> AIUI Dmitry made this change purely so that project-switch-to-buffer
> would work with project-other-*-command.  So are you suggesting that
> project-switch-to-buffer use pop-to-buffer-same-window?

Yes.

> I think that would not be ideal, because for users with
> switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions set to nil globally, it is good
> that switch-to-buffer unconditionally uses the selected window, and it

`pop-to-buffer-same-window` uses the selected window "unconditionally"
in 99.9763% (seat of pants estimate) of the cases.  And the here patch
shows that we don't want this code to use the selected window
unconditionally in 100% of the cases, so `pop-to-buffer-same-window`
seems exactly like what we need.

        Stefan