Re: Memory usage report

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Memory usage report
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 12:51:52 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Not that I'd object to formatting this in better ways (especially
> since a package to do that is already on ELPA), but from experience,
> memory related problems are very rarely in GC-related areas.  So for
> diagnosing memory leaks, the GC report is not very useful.

Even in the presence of a C-level genuine leak, it's useful -- because
it shows you that the memory is indeed not taken by Lisp-level objects.

But for this command to be useful in general, I think we'll have to
expose more data from the C layer.  What caches and stuff do we have on
the C layer that can take a significant amount of memory?  The image
and font caches?  Uhm...  Anything more?

I'd also like the display to list, say, the ten "largest variables".
This will be inaccurate, of course, since structures may share members,
but could perhaps be useful.  And I'd also like to do the same with
buffer-local variables, in case a lot of data is hiding there (for
instance, the eww-history, which caches old rendered versions of web
pages, and may be large).

The memory-usage package does some of this, I see, but not a lot...